Transport Canada’s Environmental Protection program is one of the three Environmental Management programs under the National Environmental Management System.
The Environmental Protection program focuses on making sure we comply with environmental laws such as the Canadian Environmental Protection Act. It also makes sure the department is in line with federal horizontal initiatives such as Theme IV – Shrinking the Environmental Footprint – Beginning with Government of the Federal Sustainable Development Strategy.
Much of the Environmental Protection program work involves partnerships. We cooperate with Transport Canada’s five regional offices and other groups within the department, other federal departments, provincial and municipal governments and international organizations. The work we do with these partners varies greatly, including collaborating with Transport Canada’s Environmental Policy group on items such as the Departmental Sustainable Development Strategy.
The Environmental Protection program manages three main areas of interest:
- The National Environmental Management System - is the tool we use to make sure our environmental obligations are met, as well as to monitor our environmental performance. The system is made up of three Environmental Management programs:
National Environmental Monitoring and Oversight – the National Environmental Monitoring and Oversight program ensures that Transport Canada operations are conducted in an environmentally sound manner by the monitoring and oversight obligations of the following three programs:
- Environmental Protection;
- Environmental Evaluation and Mitigation; and
- Environmental Assessment.
- Emissions - through the Clean Air Agenda, the Government of Canada has been working towards making major improvements in Canada’s environment by addressing the challenges of climate change and air pollution. To this end, the department is working on a number of fronts to help reduce emissions:
To learn more about Transport Canada’s Environmental Protection program and/or the National Environmental Management System, please email email@example.com.
- Date modified: